SharePoint Server 2010, like its predecessors, includes indexing and search capabilities. But what doesn’t come out of the box is the ability to index and search for PDF documents. PDF is a format owned by Adobe, not Microsoft. If you want to be able to find Adobe PDF documents, or have the PDF icon appear when viewing PDF files in a SharePoint document library (see image below), you will need to set it up for yourself. This post describes how to configure it using adobe ifilter.
Download required files here
Adobe Ifilter for X64 Platform – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025
PDF Icon – http://www.mossgurus.com/adnan/Documents/pdf16.gif right click on the file and save it.
Below steps will install and configure PDF iFilter on SharePoint Server 2010 or Search Server Express 2010.
- Install ifilter using downloaded setup
- Copy PDF Icon image to – C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES
- Below entry to be added in DOCICON.XML file which can be found at – C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML.
<Mapping Key=”pdf” Value=”pdf16.gif” />
- Direct to your Search service application in SharePoint Central Admin. Create an New File Type and Add PDF file type on the File Types page as shown below.
- Open registry by executing regedit at Run. and then
Navigate to –\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Setup\ContentIndexCommon\Filters\Extension
- Right click Extension, and Click New–> Key to create a new key for .pdf. See screen shot below:
Enter .pdf and save key.
- Now add the following GUID in the default value as shown in the figure below.
- If you are configuring SharePoint Server 2010, Restart SharePoint Server Search 14 Service under Services.
Else by executing the following command on the command line also will restart the service:
-net stop osearch
-net start osearch
- You may have to restart IIS as well.
- Perform incremental/full crawl in SharePoint server to include PDF files as required.
PDF iFilter is successfully configured. Now you can search for the content of PDF file. As you see in screen shot below:
- Note: SharePoint Server 2010 or Search Server 2010 Express provides out of the box search support for .ZIP files, so you download and have to install Microsoft Filter pack as you used to do with MOSS 2007.
Configuring Ifilter For Farm Installations
Application Servers -The iFilter installation and Regedit should be done in the Index Server(s).
For Web Servers – The XML editing and inclusion of PDF icon should be done in the WFE server(s).
Written by – Manoj Viduranga ………….