SharePoint now becomes a global role player for Public Sites. Bunch of cooperate companies trusts SharePoint in Terms of Security and Privacy so this is the golden age of SharePoint.
I’m assisting on a Multitenancy Environment of SharePoint for Public Sites hosting for one of my client. Suddenly one Site got a issue that anonymous users are prompted for credentials after hosting and configuring everything.
If you have a public web site you might have the ViewFormPagesLockDown feature turned on. Functionality of this is to restrict anonymous users of accessing Pages inside Libraries "Forms" Folders. You can read more about Planning security for External anonymous access environments which elaborated in details here – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263468.aspx
Below steps is just to make others aware on a workaround carried out to resolve. Just try it out.
1. Open up cmd and run below line from your SharePoint APP Server
2. Paste the Path to STSADM –
SharePoint 2013 – "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN"
SharePoint 2010 – "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN" and hit enter
3. Edit below line up on your environment and hit enter
stsadm -o deactivatefeature -url “<site URL>” -filename ViewFormPagesLockDown\feature.xml – This will Deactivate the Lock down feature
4. Now go ahead and toggle the anonymous permissions for your Site through "Site Action –> Site Settings –> Site Permission". Set it to "None" from "Entire Web Site". Hit Ok and edit it again, this time set it back to "Entire Web Site" from "None" (Vise versa)
5. We can now activate the feature. Run the below line to get it back.
stsadm -o activatefeature -url “<site URL>” -filename ViewFormPagesLockDown\feature.xml – This will Deactivate the Lock down feature
That’s it and try to access now anonimously.